Re: DNS Blackhole attack

  • From: Rachael Treu
  • Date: Mon Mar 07 14:52:16 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:38:53AM +0000, Ketil Froyn said something to the effect of:

> On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 14:43 -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>
> > Global DNS cache poisoning attack?; Update...
>
> It's a bit frustrating that problems this old and well-known can
> actually be used to cause damage.

Uh...see tcp ports 135 through 139, and give thought to smtp
as a protocol.  And I hear the water is lovely in nis, nfs, and
rpc this time of year... ;P

> The easiest way to check if you are vulnerable to DNS poisoning is to
> try to poison yourself. Try my "poison yourself" page here:
>
>   http://ketil.froyn.name/poison.html

Nice, handy resource.

What's up with the patching problems, btw?

whee,
--ra

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP	[email protected]
..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..