Re: US slaps fine on company blocking VoIP

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Mon Mar 07 05:14:26 2005

> > and your phone number has to be local to your location.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Thanks for proving my point.

And who says that a location needs to have only a single
phone number. Many VoIP providers will sell you extra
vanity numbers anywhere in the USA or a number of other
countries:
http://www.telphin.com/numbers.php
http://sipphone.com/virtual/

These are redirected to your phone in the same way that
a personal 800 number gets redirected. A telephone number
is rather more like a domain name than an IP address.

So if the E-911 VoIP service requires that you have
a base phone number that is within your E-911 region
that doesn't seem like a problem to me since you can
have any number of virtual phone numbers in addition
to the base number.

--Michael Dillon