Re: public accessible snmp devices?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Sun Mar 06 04:09:44 2005

Hmm, good idea. I add my voice to this question.

But, btw, SNMP implementations are extremely buggy. Last 2 examples from my
experience (with snmpstat system):
- I found Cisco which have packet countters (on interface) _decreased_
instead of _increased_ (but octet counters are _increased_);
- I have Cisco and interface, which do not report type if you ask it by
exact request, but you can read type by requesting 'snmpwalk' ('get next
variable');
- many many devices can be kicked down by SNMP packets (I kicked down Pix
firewall in one point, and few 6509 switches in other).

So, it is not so easy - to have such publickly available devices. I hear
about companies  whho rent you network systems (just full network, not a
separae cisco or 3-com) for learning purposes; may be, use them?