RE: More on Vonage service disruptions...

  • From: Jeffrey Race
  • Date: Thu Mar 03 04:15:58 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:15:48 -0500 (EST), Greg Boehnlein wrote:

>So, set your Rate-Limiting of SIP traffic to 1 packet per second for the
>network that YOU control and then offer your VoIP subscribers a different
>QOS profile at a higher cost.
>
>Bingo, problem solved. The economy will work itself out.

In fact this just happened to me here in Bangkok; I was doing some
tests of streaming audio during which I was moved administratively
from one ADSL domain to another.  Streaming audio became unuseable with
many packet discards apparently due to jitter running up to a
second. (The utility at <http://testyourvoip.com> proved invaluable: it
uses Java to install a simulated VoIP client and runs a broad suite
of tests.)   Behind-the-scenes discussions have revealed the provider's
experience that a short time after it brought the service online,
its bandwidth was overwhelmed by a small minority of users
downloading videos etc.   The solution was silently to throttle
the throughput.   (Same operator nightmare experienced at many
institutions of "higher" education where the "students" use the
ethernet jack in their dormrooms, intended for research purposes,
to download sex videos.)

Jeffrey Race