Re: Heads up: Long AS-sets announced in the next few days

  • From: Lorenzo Colitti
  • Date: Wed Mar 02 20:24:40 2005

James A. T. Rice wrote:
So, the ASn's are not picked at random, yet mine might be included if I don't specifically ask for them not to be included, yet you decline to tell how my ASn might have been selected for this.
Ok, I realize I might have given the wrong impression here. Sorry.

So here's what we are doing: by artificially inserting ASes into the AS-set of an announcement, the ISP that makes the announcement can control where the announcement is propagated and thus discover paths followed by its announcements that are not usually visible, giving it a more complete knowledge of network topology in the vicinity.

Since this is a new technique, it's not clear if it is actually effective, and to measure this we need to test it in the real world. If the experiments show that the technique performs as we hope, we intend to publish the results and provide the details for public use.

We will post appropriate references to this list as soon as we have some hard data and have put it into a presentable form. But first we need to do the experiments...

Regards,
Lorenzo