Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

  • From: Jason Frisvold
  • Date: Tue Mar 01 09:53:05 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:18:19 -0500, Nils Ketelsen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Okay, the main difference seems to be:
>
> 1. People here trust, that mailservers on port 587 will have
> better configurations than mailservers on port 25 have today. I
> do not share this positive attitude.

I think you're right here..  There are a number of us who will
endeavor to do it the "right way", and then there are others who will
either not have the technical know-how, or just plain don't care..

> 2. Port 587 Mailservers only make sense, when other Providers block
> port 25. My point is: If my ISP blocks any outgoing port, he is no longer
> an ISP I will buy service from. Therefore I do not need a 587-Mailserver,
> as I do not use any ISP with Port 25-Blocking for connecting my sites or
> users.

For a commercial service, I agree.  Commercial users are deemed "more
intelligent" and should have the capability to set up services in a
more secure manner.

Residential users, however, are the general problem.  Your average Joe
User has no idea how email works other than merely clicking the send
button and having the email appear magically at the other end.  Most
users don't have spyware or virus checkers either.  All of this leads
to a large group of general users who can be exploited and abused
at-will.

As an ISP, I find it necessary to block certain ports.  I block port
25 outbound from my residential customers to prevent direct-to-mx
spamming.  Currently they can only use port 25 on my mailserver, but
that will eventually change to only port 587 and port 25 will be
completely blocked.  I also block netbios and other similar services
which were never intended as WAN protocols in the first place.  And I
haven't had a single complaint from any of my residential customers.
I'm fairly confident that they're mostly unaware of these blocks even
though they were announced in advance..

> I agree. Just as I said: If the ISP blocks (and I do not care which port
> he blocks), then it's time to go and look for another ISP. If I buy
> Internet I do not want a provider that decides for me which parts of it I
> am allowed to use today and which I am not.

You would be one of the smarter "Joe Users" who can handle the
day-to-day nasties on the internet.  Unfortunately, you're the
minority...  I wouldn't mind having an alternate service, with no
change in pricing, that would allow users like you to have the freedom
they want.  In fact, if I had any demand for it at all, I'd set
something up in a heartbeat.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email protected]