Re: SMTP Port Blocking: Success or Failure?

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Sun Feb 27 11:20:53 2005

>What about rate limiting SMTP traffic rather than blocking it? That
>could allow legitimate use for most private customers, while
>preventing bulk traffic.

Comcast has been doing something like that, looking for spikes of SMTP
connects and blocking when they see them, done at the IP level.  I
can't say that I'm overly impressed with how well it's working, but
it's better than nothing.

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor