Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Feb 25 14:05:40 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:56:50 EST, [email protected] said:

> Sorry, I misread that.  But I still fail to see how 587 changes that.
> Trojans, viruses, etc. etc. etc. can still exploit the authentication
> system regardless of what port it operates on.  Different port, same old
> problems.

It changes it only in that it becomes a *lot* easier for you to track down
which of your users has a compromised machine. (It's a lot easier to just look
at the Received: headers than have to take the hostname, chase it back through
your logs, and all that - especially if the user is roaming and just caught
something over their Aunt Tilly's unsecured wireless access point....)