Re: AOL scomp

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Thu Feb 24 14:20:41 2005

chuck goolsbee wrote:

It's too bad that about 1/3 of the reported mails are valid opt-in lists.

The other 1/3rd are actual spam, but legitimately forwarded as the user requested from a personal or business domain to an AOL account. Any server in the path gets tagged as a spam source.
I believe one has an extra duty to be as strict as possible about accepting email to be forwarded to external parties:

Read: Setup for every usuable blocklist, including you own, which rejects email outright. And spamassassin setup to reject any reasonable low FP score threshold. And none of that "tag em all and let the user sort it out" business.

Its not legitimate to cover your eyes and forward probable garbage to someone else. You want it on your system, thats your decision. AOL blocklisting high percentage garbage senders, including those merely forwarding, is perfectly valid in my book.

To blocklist all servers in the path or just the most recent one is a local decision