Re: UN Panel Aims to End Internet Tug of War by July

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Mon Feb 21 13:56:19 2005

I forgot to reference an (ironic) article that Reuters
posted back in July 2004 entitled "U.N. Internet Policy
Off Course, Pioneer Says"...

The only reference I can find of it at the moment
is:

http://www.undp.org.vn/mlist/ksdvn/072004/post42.htm

which is culled from the United Nations Development
Programme, Knowledge Systems in Development (Viet Nam)
mailing list.

- ferg

[snip]

My favorite quote(s) from this very brief article:

"Right now, the most recognizable Internet governance
body is a California-based non-profit company, the
International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN)."

"But developing countries want an international body,
such as the U.N.'s International Telecommunication
Union (ITU), to have control over governance -- from
distributing Web site domains to fighting spam."

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2005-02-21T171326Z_01_N21644703_RTRIDST_0_NET-TECH-UN-DC.XML

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson