Re: NANOG Changes

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Mon Feb 21 07:06:46 2005

> > Aha! So there really is more stuff hidden away on that
> > site for the chosen few. Perception is reality, eh?

>    People, please, gain some perspective here.  Nobody wants the
> thankless job of maintaining a mailing list that badly.

Perhps I'm being too subtle here. I fully realize that
all these irregularities are the result of incompetence and
not of malice. But, as Paul Vixie wisely pointed out,
in the realm of politics, perception equals reality.

If something is not completely in the open then people
tend to believe that there are nefarious plotters doing
backroom deals to sieze power.

The i's need to be dotted and the t's need to be crossed.

If there is really a nanog-reform mailing list associated
with nanog-reform.org then put information about it on
the website. Move the petition signers to a secondary page.
Put a link to (and explanation of) the wiki on the
nanog-reform.org homepage.

If there really is an archive of nanog-futures then put
information about it on the website.

If there really are some interim results as reflected
by the several emails on the NANOG list, then put this
info on the nanog-reform.org website.

Dot the i's. Cross the t's.

The community to which NANOG addresses itself is only
partially represented by this mailing list and even less
represented by the NANOG meetings themselves. There are
many, many IP network operators in North America (and
elsewhere) who would benefit from greater cooperation
and communication through a medium like NANOG. In order
to reach out to them, we have to stop posting in cryptic
language and assuming that everyone is part of the in-crowd
and knows how to find that one reference to a nanog-reform
list buried somewhere in the archives of this mailing list.
This is not an attack on any one person but rather a general
comment on behavior which is widespread on this list.

It's the middle of the noughties now and the Internet has
grown up. We need to move on and restructure our forums and
organizations to better meet the needs of the industry
and the IP network operations community.

--Michael Dillon