Re: Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Tue Feb 15 14:35:21 2005

Samantha Fetter wrote:
Hi, just wanted to let you know that a friend recently got Vonage, and they had to go through a special process to get 911 properly associated with her address so that it would work right. I'm guessing that means they have "REAL 911 access"? I'm not familiar with that all, so pardon my lack of technical terms :

Cheers,
Samantha
If they had to go through a "special" process, then no. That would indicate that Vonage still doesn't have PS/ALI, at least in your friends market.

That "special" process is Vonage determining the "default" PSAP in your area and routing your 911 call to the 7-digit number for that PSAP. With PS/ALI, Vonage wouldn't be doing the routing. They would hand the call off to the 911 Selective Router which would THEN hand the call off to the appropriate PSAP based on a DIG to get your ALI information.

For those of you unfamiliar with how E911 works, and specifically, PS/ALI, take a look at: http://www.xo.com/products/smallgrowing/voice/local/psali/

Or... Simply google for "PS/ALI".

John