Re: Vonage complains about VoIP-blocking

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Feb 15 13:34:41 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:22:56AM -0800, Majdi Abbas wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:53:59AM -0600, Adi Linden wrote:
> > How is this any different then blocking port 25 or managing the bandwidth
> > certain applications use.
>
> 	If the article is correct, and the ISP involved is also a LEC, then
> it would be pretty clearly anticompetitive, and the LECs have some legal
> obligations to provide access to their customers.
>
> 	I don't think any such restriction would also apply to a
> normal ISP, but that could change.  We'll see.

	Internet stuff is unregulated still in the US last i knew.
Perhaps this will be the idiotic move by a SP that causes someone to step
in and impose some.  At minimum, i'd like to see some sort of
Universal-Service offering surrounding high speed internet access (eg:
512k dsl) in the US market.  This way Ma and Pa Kettle can get
their Microsoft patches at a reasonable speed.

	Either way, this is a provider asking to be smacked down.
I wouldn't mind it if they were named so we could shame them into
perserving the end-to-end nature of the internet.

	btw, port 25 blocks are primarily for anti-spam purposes because
people can't keep their machines from getting infected.  I'm all for
them unless you're purchasing some more-dedicated-type service.  The
days of dialing up with your mail server and updating dns are over.

	- Jared