Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: Peter Walker
  • Date: Sun Feb 13 15:30:15 2005

--On 13 February 2005 01:36 -0600 Jerry Pasker <[email protected]> wrote:

Until there's deep shame, or real financial incentive to not being
listed as a member of the dirty 30, nothing is going to happen in
terms of aggregation.

Unfortunately, an automated email going out to each of the dirty 30
weekly from the Cidr Report saying that their network again made
the list of top 30 most shameful examples of how to participate as
an active member in the global routing table would probably have
little effect.  If they cared, they'd already be doing something
about it.

Nothing is going to happen unless enough people (ASNs) take a
simultaneous, and  UNITED stand, and make it painful for those that
don't care about the routes they leak to the net.

Here's an idea, it's probably not the best idea, and has a *lot* of
potential problems, but it's just an idea:

Pick the top 1 or two worst offenders every week, and automatically
dump them into a route distribution server would work in the same
way as the Team Cymru bogon server list.  I bet THAT would get
people to scramble aggregate!  Want to make a clear business case
for spending time to clean up routes?  How about "global
routability" ?  Every week, the top of the list would be singled
out, and  they could be placed on the server, and anyone that
wanted to null route them based on that information could do so.  A
level of automation would be required to quickly remove them from
the blacklist as soon as they aggregated, and quickly re-add them
without warning if they decide to deaggregate within a certain time
frame of being on the blacklist. If the addition/removal was
automated, it would be clear cut as to why the "victim" was placed
on the list.  No favoritism or politics would come in to play.

It would get results.  I'm not sure what those results would be,
and the result might just be a bunch of really mad and aggravated
people, and a slightly more broken internet, but there'd definitely
be results.

Or something.    ;-)

(I bet it would be a lot like the early days of DNS-RBL for mail
servers)

I'm sure someone on this list who is wiser than me, has a better
idea.  I'd love to hear it discussed.

I'm going to repeat what I typed earlier:

Nothing is going to happen unless enough people (ASNs) take a
simultaneous, and  UNITED stand, and make it painful for those that
don't care about the routes they leak to the net.

-Jerry

Perhaps another way this could happen might be by somewhat widespread use of something along the lines of

================= Cisco Version ========================

route-map CIDR_Top10 deny 10
match as-path 10
match ip address prefix-list deagg_pollution

route-map CIDR_Abusers permit 1000

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _4323$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _18566$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _4134$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _721$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _22773$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _7018$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _27364$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _6197$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _3602$
ip as-path access-list 10 permit _6478$

ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/1 ge 21
ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 20 permit 128.0.0.0/2 ge 21
ip prefix-list deagg_pollution seq 30 permit 192.0.0.0/3 ge 24

The as-path could easily be changed to include the top n abusers or to include downstream ASs rather than just source ASs.

Just thinking out loud

Peter Walker