Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sun Feb 13 14:34:54 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Warren Kumari, Ph.D, CCIE# 9190 wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2005, at 2:31 AM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> >
> > There are multiple reasons for deaggregation aside from 'dumb operator',
> > some are even 'valid' if you look at them from the protection standpoint.
>
> That and the "I have 1 circuit to $good_provider and 1 circuit to
> $bad_provider and the only way I can make them balance is to split my space in
> half and announce more specifics out through each provider"  argument. I have
> also often seen people do this without announcing the aggregate because <some
> undefined bad thing> will happen, usually justified with much hand-waving.
> The people who do this can usually not be reasoned with....

this just reinforces the argument that they are lacking in technical savvy.

i have a transit provider who i dont want to carry much traffic and i dont want
to prepend my announcements.. by looking at that providers supported customer
communities i just get them to prepend as they export to other major networks
thus moving the main volume of the traffic to the desired ingress paths

no deaggregation, no prepending..

Steve