Re: IRC Bot list (cross posting)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Feb 09 14:04:57 2005

> > There's TWO places that are doing this botnet stuff and
> > the NANOG AUP discourages cross posting.
> >
> > I for one certainly don't want yet another list full of
> > botnet stuff.
>
> And I'm not subscribed to either. Yet, I've no less than a /19 of space
> under my purview and I don't believe that publishing botnet lists in the
> manner that has been done is either off topic, or off charter.

i suppose that at some level, the idea of topic-specific mailing lists is
just a bad idea and keeps us all in the dark on most topics.  wouldn't it
be better to just post everything everywhere and make everybody read
everything?

wait, wait, i have a better idea.  if you have a /19 worth of space and...

> Some of us, as hosting providers or similiar entities, have network costs
> to keep to a minimum. For those of us with security concerns, a heads up
> to compromised hosts within our bailiwick will *always* be appreciated.

...you really care about botnet reports, then why not subscribe to [email protected]
or [email protected] where such reports are published all damned day long every day.  if
you ONLY subscribe to [email protected], you're missing a HUGE number of botnet reports.
--
Paul Vixie