Re: Time to check the rate limits on your mail servers

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Thu Feb 03 16:36:36 2005

On 02/03/05, "Miller, Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>   How come it is always about controlling the symptoms and not the
> illness?  The vast majority of these
> "spam drones" are compromised WINDOWS machines.  If the operating system
> and dominant email applications so easily allows the users' machines to
> be taken over by a third party, then there is something wrong with the
> operating system and the mail applications.  It occurs to me that the
> solution is not to limit the range of destruction, but to defuse the
> bomb.  Perhaps the focus for a solution should move up the model to
> layer 7.

	Upgrading and/or replacing the OS for every Windows user on the
	planet is an educational issue.  Keeping the network viable
	while you figure out how to do that is an operational issue.

--
J.D. Falk                                          uncertainty is only a virtue
<[email protected]>                    when you don't know the answer yet