Re: Time to check the rate limits on your mail servers

  • From: Raymond Dijkxhoorn
  • Date: Thu Feb 03 10:23:19 2005

Hi!

Now, once 100K zombies can send *only* 1000 spam messages a day instead of 10K or even 500K, it makes a difference, but it is no solution.

I am happy to see people are starting to move this way, and I personally believe that although this is happening (just go and hear what Carl from AOL says on Spam-R that they have been seeing since 2003), this is all a POC. We have not yet begun seeing the action.
This is no POC, we have seen this happen many many times. Perhaps some drone networks are a little 'behind' but in general, they are perfectly able to do this. Even with some static lists for some large ISPs mailservers they can perfectly initiate it large scale. And yes, it does limit, but with the number of bots we see controlled on the few botnets we monitored the impact will still be hudge.

Should I once again be stoned, or will others see it my way now that the tide is starting to turn?
Its not turning, its happening.

Bye,
Raymond.