RE: Vendor Vulnerability Release Problem

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Tue Feb 01 13:27:20 2005

There appeared to be a consensus that the current methodology
is broken. The vendors stated this themselves. The two presenters
would need to clarify that further.

As far as vendor behavior is related, I can't comment on that.

It was clear, at least to me, there is no transparent or uniform
method of distributing serious vulnerabilities. At least that
participants of NANOG are aware of.

I will concur that the vendors may not currently have a way
to proceed with these problems, but I don't know that the operator
community,
ground zero for these vulnerabilities, hasn't been consulted as a
whole. ((archives)).

> > I *was disappointed in was the harsh criticism of DHS. The
> vendors called
> > DHS and the Pentagon the biggest source of leaks related to
> 'their' security
> > vulnerabilities. I don't know if that's true, but if they
> are, I hope
> > they're leaking to the right people.
>

> Since I was not there for the discussion, I could not
> appropriately relate
> to the exchange held but, I would just like to understand if
> I may -- what
> the perception by the many gathered of DHS and the Pentagon were
> respectively.

My interpretation of the event was that the speakers considered
DHS and the Pentagon to share some level of responsibility as to
why vendors can't detail serious vulnerabilities. The feedback
seemed to deride the Pentagon more than DHS. I can't gauge what
the participants felt. As a guess, I think it was believable in
the way it was presented.

The overall impression was that the relevant government
agencies are not credible. (I disagree from my own experience).

> If you feel that this matter would be of interest to the
> NANOG community,
> do feel free to re-post.

Reposted whole.