Re: Rapidly-variable routing on the time scale of seconds to minutes?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Mon Jan 31 22:24:59 2005

James wrote:
AFAIK, multiple routers showing up in a single-hop in traceroute response is
a sign of packet-by-packet load balancing, not flow based.

I could be wrong, though this was my past observation.

P.S.: What router-interacting applications are you using?

-J

I would venture to guess that in 99% of the cases, it's not multiple routers showing up in a single hop but, rather multiple interfaces on the same router showing up.

John