Re: long as path games?

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Mon Jan 31 13:24:32 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:37:57AM -0800, Blaine Christian wrote:

> Specifically, they have the ability to tickle a legacy cisco bug
> with AS path length.  This bug was supposedly mitigated in code
> and I believe my previous company is still filtering AS path
> length (UUNET) of 100 or greater.

In recent years there have been issues with memory allocation on
the order of path-length ~50.  Similar to bogon filters, it is
recommended to take a survey of sane path lengths before and your
own needs before deploying. Potentially useful data in this
regard is tracked by [suprise] cymru
	http://www.cymru.com/BGP/asnpalen01.html

In cisco-land, the max as-length was an undocumented command until
last year or so.  a popular value appears to be in the 40-50 range
from folks I know using it.

Cheers,

Joe
--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE