Re: Rapidly-variable routing on the time scale of seconds to minutes?

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Mon Jan 31 08:28:58 2005

Daniel Roesen wrote:

You would NOT see the same effect with packets of e.g. the same TCP
session, so this (multipath forwarding) is usually no problem (as for
TCP and UDP applications there is no reordering happening). So your
analysis results (traceroute) are misleading for most real-life
applications. I agree that it's irritating and I personally favor
using aggregated SONET/Ethernet devices (IEEE 801.3ad) to bundle
parallel lines if possible.

Best regards,
Daniel

Good point Daniel.

Perhaps the researchers should be using Layer Four traceroute.

John