Re: panix hijack press

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Thu Jan 20 13:06:50 2005

Apparently, some folks just don't get it....

Richard Parker wrote:

... However, all domain holders
can directly monitor the status of their domain using the .com registry's
whois server - including whether or not their domain has a status of
registrar-lock. They do not have to rely on their registrar to tell them if
their domain is locked or not.

Now let's get this straight. You think that ISPs in general need to
assign staff to monitor the lock status of the hundreds or thousands
of registered domains of our subscribers.
Or that the subscribers, who typically aren't even on the whois
contacts list, should be monitoring the lock status, of which they
probably don't know (nor care) exists?

What are you smoking?

The whole locking mechanism was a poor design from the beginning.

It's opt-out. And we all are so fond of opt-out schemes, eh?

I don't think registrar-lock is a red-herring. In the wake of the panix.com
hijack holders of domain names are naturally going to want to know what they
can do to prevent something similar happening to them. The ability to
request registrar-lock is one the few defenses domain holders have.
Huh? What you are saying is maybe panix.com isn't "at fault" because
they had requested (or expected) registrar-lock, but they are "at fault"
because their registrar didn't properly lock it? Or "at fault" because
they didn't monitor the lock?

Stop blaming the victim!

The registrar-lock isn't a defense for the domain holder. Not one iota. It was designed as a defense for the registrar.

And the registrar in this case is a victim as much as the domain holder.

Stop blaming the victim!

I haven't seen anyone on NANOG claim that Panix is not a victim. Clearly a
serious error occurred in the process Melbourne IT uses to authenticate
transfers. However, your analogies seem unnecessarily inflammatory.

Sometimes folks such as yourself need to be educated in clear, unambigous
terms that relate to life.  And yet the lesson still hasn't taken hold:

Another analogy might be to describe Panix as a bank.
An analogy that is pretty far off, since the "bank" in this case would
be the REGISTRAR, not Panix.