Re: panix hijack press

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Wed Jan 19 21:37:38 2005

Thornton wrote:

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:51 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Darrell Greenwood wrote:

customers' domains. Panix.com says its domain name was locked, and
that despite this, it was still transferred. ®

I seem to recall someone saying it wasnt locked, now theyre saying it was?

panix claims it was locked but I dont think it was. Like was mentioned
they locked there other domains after panix.com was taken over. Why
would they just lock one domain?

Upon what verifiable facts do you base your endless speculation?

(1) Stop blaming the victim!

(2) Registrants can't "lock" domains, it's a registrar-lock.  Users
can only ask that domains be locked.  Stupid policy, bad results.

(3) This is a red-herring issue anyway, since there is no evidence
that Mel-IT ever sent notification, or even waited 5 days for a
response.  The domain was hijacked in the middle of the night, in the
middle of a weekend -- a very odd time for confirming responses by a
staff that wasn't in the office answering the phones....

(4) Mel-IT has admitted it "failed to properly confirm", and a
"loophole" caused the error.

(5) Mel-IT has an executive and a lawyer that were both notified about
the problem, and refused to mitigate the damage.

(6) Stop blaming the victim!

--
William Allen Simpson