Re: NANOG via RSS

  • From: chip
  • Date: Wed Jan 19 12:11:29 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:48:07 +0100, Jeroen Massar <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 11:36 -0500, chip wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > Try pointing your subscription to Gmail.
>
> Why the peep would I want to rely on a service provider like Gmail or
> Hotmail or whatever for something as as important as my email ?
> I also like to use my own domain for sending mail, it will never change
> unless I go bankrupt or the internet disappears completely.
>
> Especially folks in the ISP business should be able to pretty easily
> setup much more sophisticated systems without having to rely on a third
> party at all. You can then pick any combination of tools you want to use
> to process it ranging from a Windows95 box to a superduper Earth
> Simulator, just depending on the size of your pocket (and the money that
> will not be in it afterwards) and your own capabilities.
>
> Do you have any idea how much mail you can store on your local
> NetApp ? :)
>
> > Plenty of space to hold a
> > nice archive.  Quickly Searchable, accessible from anywhere, automatic
> > threading.  Make a label and matching filter for each
> > mailing-list...make's thing nice and sorted automatically.
>
> People call this procmail and their other favourite tool of choice ;)
>
> > Your Gmail acc't can be accessed via rss too, so there's that.
>
> If you didn't notice from my message I don't see the need for RSS at all
> because it is not at all useful for many things, especially as email
> gateways.
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen
>
> PS: Another nice feature of your own mail system is that you can
> actually configure your real name completely and nicely capitalized in
> the from address ;)

Jeroen,

I agree with you on pretty much everything you said.   The only thing
I use this gmail account for is mailing lists.  I don't want to
clutter up my inbox with all the stuff that happens on 10 different
lists.  I also don't want to have to deal with the spamming issues
that are a result of the lists.  And why should I pay for space,
equipment, and time when someone's giving me 1Gb for free with all the
handy tools already installed.  Anyhow, to each his own, was just
pointing out another option.

-- chip
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....