Re: EPP minutia (was: Re: Gtld transfer process)

  • From: Richard Parker
  • Date: Wed Jan 19 03:14:20 2005

on 1/18/05 10:51 PM, George William Herbert at [email protected] wrote:

> What you are saying, is that you want to have either
> a level of service at registrars, or a new registrar
> with the additional level of service, that instead of
> being easy to deal with in moves, is designed to maximally
> ensure safe handling of your important corporate identity.
>
> I think this is a clear and wonderful business opportunity.
> Just expect to pay more for it...

Perhaps large organizations for whom even a brief domain name hijacking
would result in huge losses should consider becoming their own registrar.
Possibly due to their experience with being hijacked AOL has chosen to be
their own registrar.  I certainly have to imagine that registrar.aol.com
would be mighty suspicious of any attempt to modify the aol.com domain.  The
fees to become a registrar look to be only a few thousand dollars, so I
suspect less than $100,000 would be more than sufficient to set up and
operate a registrar if you don't have to actually deal with any customers
other than yourself.  In retrospect that price must look cheap to panix.com.
I would not be surprised if the hijacking of panix.com resulted in an even
greater expansion in the number of accredited registrars.

-Richard