Re: EPP minutia (was: Re: Gtld transfer process)

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Tue Jan 18 19:05:31 2005

At 7:21 PM +0000 1/18/05, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
> >From: "Bruce Tonkin" <[email protected]>
> > I am interested to hear what members of the NANOG list believe would be
> > a better transfers process.
>
>The notion of "REGISTRAR LOCK" is simply too weak, it can be flipped in
>minutes. I want something that presents only limited windows of state
>change (other than NS) opportunity, which I can syncronize to corporate
>standard paperwork flag days, so it isn't when I hand the keys to the
>shop to a junior and take the kids on holiday.

It appears that "REGISTRAR LOCK" has interesting per-registrar
implementation variations which do not always put the domain
holder's interests first.  While the registry does not, per se, have
a direct business interest with the domain holder, it should be
possible to have a lock state which is more oriented to the critical
needs of some business domain holders.

For a reasonable fee (and copious amount of documentation), it
should be possible for any record holder to instruct the registry
to lock the ownership of a domain down in such a way so as to
require a similar amount of paperwork to release; thus effectively
creating an "OWNER LOCK" state.

/John