Re: Gtld transfer process

  • From: Edward Lewis
  • Date: Tue Jan 18 15:41:18 2005

Speaking as a co-chair of the erstwhile PROVREG WG, which produced the EPP documents (http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/OLD/provreg-charter.html):

At 2:18 PM +0000 1/18/05, someone wrote:

There seems to be a general lack of IETF design and review of protocols
in this crucial area.  Again not good.
Assuming "this crucial area" to mean registration protocols, including EPP, IRIS, and DNS, I'd say that there is ample opportunity for review, although what is done is still insufficient. (It will always be "insufficient" to some.)

The IETG Working Group's for these protocols are -

EPP - PROVREG WG closed, see above, but the mailing list still runs
IRIS - CRISP WG http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/crisp-charter.html
DNS - DNSEXT WG http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsext-charter.html
and - DNSOP WG http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsop-charter.html

WhoIs and RRP are not related to WG's so far as I can recall.

These web pages mention mailing lists for the groups. That is how to provide "design and review" without the expense of travel.

I know all about insufficient design and review. I've seen DNSSEC overhauled when the initial review process failed. As co-chair for PROVREG, trying to get wider review was the main job. (Early on, no one wanted to hear about it...)

PS - If you can contribute "client-side" expertise to many of these protocols, you will be in high-demand.
Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield