Re: Registrar and registry backend processes.

  • From: Elmar K. Bins
  • Date: Tue Jan 18 04:05:20 2005

[email protected] (Lionel Elie Mamane) wrote:

> > A nonprofit firm in Frankfurt, Denic eG, which manages Germany's
> > eight million registered .de domain names, has also indicated that
> > it is planning to bid.
>
> For what it is worth, some consider the .de whois server broken; see
> below. Let's note that the new RFC (3912) doesn't mention the "help
> methodology" anymore.

And some call this not broken but necessary. I can explain off-list,
if you like.

> The .DE whois server is broken. I should be able to telnet to the
> WHOIS server on the whois port, send it a domain, and get results.

You are getting results.

> $ telnet whois.denic.de whois
> Trying 81.91.162.7...
> Connected to whois.denic.de.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> denic.de
> domain:      denic.de
> status:      connect
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.

> Further, these options are not documented anywhere, because the usual
> "help" methodology, as documented by the RFC, doesn't work:

http://www.denic.de/en/domains/technik/denic_whois-server/index.html

(Easily found by searching for "whois", first hit - yes, I know, it's ugly,
but you're still not telling the truth which is my point here)

> $ telnet whois.denic.de whois
> Trying 81.91.162.7...
> Connected to whois.denic.de.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ?
> domain:      ?
> status:      invalid

Which is defined in what RfC?
If it is, I will gladly tell the folks to implement it.

Anyway, I see your point in that server being somewhat problematic if
you need more than "free/used"; yet the information is there, and
someone who really needs more info has no hard time finding the docs.

Yours,
	Elmar.

--

"Begehe nur nicht den Fehler, Meinung durch Sachverstand zu substituieren."
                          (PLemken, <[email protected]>)