Re: The entire mechanism is Wrong!

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Mon Jan 17 01:37:34 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Jim Shankland wrote:

> Of course it's unreasonable to expect a registrar to have to
> put up with such a burden during off hours:  God only knows what
> kind of silly calls would come in.  "Emergencies" are best
> handled in a batch during the regular work week.  For the
> stuff that really won't wait, you just put a lawyer on retainer,
> who can fax off a letter telling the complainant to sod off until
> Monday morning, or until the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter
> aligns with Mars, whichever comes first.
>
> I mean, if we can't be on the golf course by 3:00, what are we
> in this business for, anyway -- right?

The registrar DOES need to define "Emergency."

"Emergency" does not mean "page on-call staffers because I forgot to renew
my domain and it's fallen out of the roots, and Customer Service is closed
Saturday." Such an event is defined as being "My Own Fault, Not Due to
Catastrophic Conditions" and doesn't warrant bugging the person on-call.

As long as the registrar defines what constitutes a page-able emergency,
they should be ok. (Or is this overly simplistic?)

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)