Re: panix.com hijacked

  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
  • Date: Sat Jan 15 23:58:35 2005

Howdy Perry,

> Alexis Rosen of Panix was on the phone earlier today with the company
> attorney for melbourneit -- reputedly he was informed that even if the
> police called, they would not do anything about the problem until
> Monday their time.

(a) I don't know MIT's attorney, and (b) I wouldn't ever call him or her
when I could reach someone I know, and (c) what would you expect an attorney
to say?

> Alexis is a bit on the upset side, naturally -- his company is in
> serious trouble because of very obvious fraud, and waiting a few days
> isn't really something he can afford to do. (If you look at the whois
> records now in place for panix.com they're pretty clearly the result
> of fraudulent activity. There is a pretty clear attempt there to
> maximally obscure who has stolen the domain name -- this is clearly
> not an innocent mistake.)

Yeah, but, home truths. There are registrars who will get out of bed at
night for a customer, and registrars who could give a shit if hell froze.
Just like ISPs and LEOs, neh?

Picking a registrar with a market share in the top 10 means that you get
1/share's worth of attention, which means 1/1488700 of Dotster's attention
(using 1/15 daily market share graph). Now, was that at the NetSol $35/yr
price point for customer care, or the GoDaddy $6.95/yr price point for
customer care.

I suppose everyone thinks that it (for some value of "it") can't happen
to them, and that if it does, a wicked small amount of money will still
do more than the oil that lights the lamps at Hanukkah, because bad acts
are rare and all the dimes pile up into a shared fate insurance fund.

Well, now I'm really going to bed.

Eric