Re: fixing insecure email infrastructure (was: Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonymity" when domain exists, whois not updated yet)

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 23:56:21 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:19:47 -0500, [email protected]
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:19:24 PST, Dave Crocker said:
> > In general, that's what dkeys/iim and csv (and maybe spf) are attempting to provide.
>
> Yes, but he asked for a rDNS solution specifically...

I think Steve was referring to some things that can be implemented
right away, like "if you operate a mailserver, please make sure that
it isn't on a host that has reverse dns like ppp-XXX.adsl.example.com,
try to give it unique and non generic rDNS, preferably with a hostname
that starts off with smtp-out, mail, mta etc)"

Basically a call to operators to adopt a consistent forward and
reverse DNS naming pattern for their mailservers, static IP netblocks,
dynamic IP netblocks etc.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])