fixing the underlying causes of network abuse (was: Re: fixing insecure email infrastructure (etc.))

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 19:23:45 2005

on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:49:59PM +0000, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
<snip>

> Thus far, all you've done is recycle the policy claim of the trademarks
> interests, a highly effective "stakeholder" and rational entity within
> ICANN, and the policy claim of the law enforcement interests, [...]

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. By asking for domain registrations to
be transparent and monitored for accuracy, I'm echoing the "policy
claim" of everyone who has ever tried to determine the registrant of a
domain and found it to be laughably forged, incorrect, out of date, or
"protected" by some other entity whose primary purpose seems to be to
help spammers hide. Whether this group of interested parties includes
the "trademarks interests" is irrelevant.

> This thread however is about SMTP, and some glop that might make it
> differently, or less "insecure".

Clearly we need to change the Subject: then, as you seem bent on ignoring
my statements about the underlying causes of net abuse via email with this
dodge, and it's getting tiresome.

Do you want to see whois records normalized and monitored for forgeries?

Do you believe this could have an effect on the ability of spammers and
others to abuse network resources?

join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!