Re: At the risk of being declared off topic

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 15:04:43 2005

On 12-jan-05, at 19:26, Owen DeLong wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking along the lines of a new protocol which could look up an
End System Identifier against a local server and receive a response
which was a list of valid Routing Tags for that destination.  Sort
of a cross between DNS and ARP.  I don't want to ignore security and
would like to see at least the option if not requirement to crypto-
sign the information.

Ideally, I'd like to find a couple of people in the Bay Area so we
can get together for a white-board discussion.  I've got a few ideas
rattling around in my head about how it might work, but, I'd like
to collaborate with some others before proposing something to IETF.
The IETF multi6 wg has been looking at stuff not unlike this. If everything goes well, multi6 will be shut down, and a new wg will be formed to actually start building a protocol. This is supposed to happen at the next IETF in Minneapolis two months from now. If you've never been to an IETF meeting this might be a good time to start. :-)

However, there is a big difference between what you're saying and what's on the table at multi6: currently, the idea for multi6 and its successor is to take a bunch of regular addresses, and promote one of them to end system identifier (in your terminology). This has the advantage that you're compatible with existing TCP/IP and you can connect first and negotiate stuff afterwards. A true identifier/locator separation is harder, but would be a natural evolution of this, as it's basically nothing more than doing the same with an identifier that "happens" to be unreachable. (There are some additional complexities, of course.)

HIP (see Jeroen's message) is a very different take on a problem area that greatly overlaps, but isn't exactly the same.

If/when you have a softcopy of your ideas I'd be interested in reading it.