At the risk of being declared off topic

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 13:27:54 2005

I realize that this is more of an IETF issue than a NANOG one, but, I'd
like to find a couple of people with some protocol background and a strong
operational background that would be interested in trying to see if we
can come up with a way to develop a version of IP which did not require
a flag day, but, would facilitate a transition towards an IP where the
End System Identifier (Host Address) could be globally unique to a given
system (think PI space) and essentially a layer 4 construct, but, the
Routing Tag (Network Address) could, instead, be dynamically determined
and separate information.

I'm thinking along the lines of a new protocol which could look up an
End System Identifier against a local server and receive a response
which was a list of valid Routing Tags for that destination.  Sort
of a cross between DNS and ARP.  I don't want to ignore security and
would like to see at least the option if not requirement to crypto-
sign the information.

Ideally, I'd like to find a couple of people in the Bay Area so we
can get together for a white-board discussion.  I've got a few ideas
rattling around in my head about how it might work, but, I'd like
to collaborate with some others before proposing something to IETF.

I figured NANOG was a good place to start looking for OP-EX relevant
to this issue.

Thanks,

Owen