Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonymity" when domain exists, whois not updated yet

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 12:25:06 2005

>> Right now I have freedom of communication.  In your vision I would hand
>> all that over to my ISP for the benefit of giving complete control over
>> who can communicate with me to them.
> Perhaps you could explain to me just how you
> currently manage to get port 25 packets delivered
> to your friends without transitting your ISP?
> Or did you just mean "freedom of communication"
> in a rhetorical sense?

Because it's not hitting the disks in their mail spool, nor are the
sender and receiver checked against any policy databases.

> And if you will trust an ISP to deliver port 25
> packets then why wouldn't you trust them to
> deliver email messages?

Because the packets are an order of magnitude easier to do than e-mail,
and the orders only keep rising when the number of subscriber rises.

IP service is ubiquitous, your proposal would make an important service
running on top of it not anymore.

	-- Niels.

--
                              The idle mind is the devil's playground