Re: IBGP Question --- Router Reflector or iBGP Mesh

  • From: Philip Smith
  • Date: Tue Jan 11 06:53:02 2005

Hi Eric,

Eric Kagan said the following on 11/01/2005 11:03:

Correct, route reflector's main advantage is scalability and if you're thinking to evolve into a larger network with dedicated access and core routers, route reflectors are a far better option than full mesh, though perhaps not from the start.
Does anyone have any input on when this does make sense ?  We have 3 Main IP
pops with upstream BGP at each and 4 internal BGP sessions.  I am looking to
add 2 new routers so there will be about 7 sessions on each border router.
They are 7206VXR all 256MB RAM just acting as border.  No customer circuits,
etc.  Is it time to look at route reflectors at this point ?  Any input or
guidelines for making a smooth transition from Full mesh ?
Well, my preference is to start with route reflectors pretty much from day one. Let's face it, one day you will have to migrate that full mesh iBGP to route reflector. Why do the work of migration when you can start off at the beginning using route reflectors. One less job to do, one less potential network disruption, happy customers,...

Many of the ISPs I've worked with around the world have followed this path - and they are quite happy. I really think there is absolutely no need to consider full mesh iBGP any more. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's history, but I find it very hard to make an operational case for deploying full mesh iBGP any more.

As for guidelines for transition, check out the BGP tutorials which have been given at the recent NANOGs. It's really very simple to do, and you are lucky as you have relatively few routers to migrate.

Hope this helps,

philip