RE: IBGP Question --- Router Reflector or iBGP Mesh

  • From: Eric Kagan
  • Date: Mon Jan 10 20:04:14 2005

> Correct, route reflector's main advantage is scalability and
> if you're thinking to evolve into a larger network with
> dedicated access and core routers, route reflectors are a far
> better option than full mesh, though perhaps not from the start.

Does anyone have any input on when this does make sense ?  We have 3 Main IP
pops with upstream BGP at each and 4 internal BGP sessions.  I am looking to
add 2 new routers so there will be about 7 sessions on each border router.
They are 7206VXR all 256MB RAM just acting as border.  No customer circuits,
etc.  Is it time to look at route reflectors at this point ?  Any input or
guidelines for making a smooth transition from Full mesh ?

Thanks
Eric