Re: Broken PMTUD for . + TLD servers, was: Re: Smallest Transit MTU

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Jan 10 11:04:34 2005

On 10-jan-05, at 12:26, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

Shifting topic a little.. any idea why DF is used anyway? I've never understood what the purpose of not fragmenting is, and if DF didnt exist we wouldnt experience the PMTU missing icmp issues
Good question. According to RFC 791:

    If the Don't Fragment flag (DF) bit is set, then internet
    fragmentation of this datagram is NOT permitted, although it may be
    discarded.  This can be used to prohibit fragmentation in cases
    where the receiving host does not have sufficient resources to
    reassemble internet fragments.

    One example of use of the Don't Fragment feature is to down line
    load a small host.  A small host could have a boot strap program
    that accepts a datagram stores it in memory and then executes it.

Windows appears to always set DF, is there a reason why they did that?
<msbash> Greed, what else? </msbash>

Of course I wanted to see this for myself. I used Quicktime to generate some UDP, but no DFs, either on Win98 or XP.