Re: More undersea cable wars brewing in India

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Thu Dec 23 19:28:34 2004

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> I think everyone has pretty much known that the
> international cable companies are basically cartels --
> leaking bandwidth into the market at a rate sufficient
> enough to keep prices artificially high enough to (at
> the very least) sustain fiscal margins.
>
> This has been going on for years.

I completely agree. In fact, I don't like the practice any more than the
next person on NANOG. I do, however, like the idea of sustainable growth.

I think they should, in the case of the Indian intercontinental
fibre fiasco, light up another fibre or two but I don't think lighting
them /all/ up right now is a smart move. I think there's really a nasty
balance issue and the people who will most complain are the poor
end users who end up with shoddy performance and unreliable uplinks.

(ObFun: Won't someone please think of the users!)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"You don't have a TV? Then what's
<[email protected]>	    all your furniture pointing at?"