Re: Sanity worm defaces websites using php bug

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Tue Dec 21 16:43:56 2004

Dan Hollis wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

These people don't waste much time when a new exploit
found, do they? Geez.
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-12-21

Its exploiting a bug in old versions of phpbb, it's not using the recent php exploit.

-Dan
It isn't very blatant about it either. I allow myself to quote *only* the following from the source to help you make sure it is the actual worm that got you or your users.

It is written in perl.

Size: 4.87 KB (4,996 bytes).

MD5: 4ad08373aaa7c96ad8ab4b93df4fd4a0

Safe source (HTML generation only) sample:

my $s = q{<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>This site is defaced!!!</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY bgcolor="#000000" text="#FF0000">
<H1>This site is defaced!!!</H1>
<HR>

Gadi.