RE: Anycast 101

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Mon Dec 20 14:53:24 2004

We aren't dealing with stupid people. If 1/10th of
the bots will do the trick, that's 1/10th of the work. A larger
botnet would expose the controllers much more rapidly with focused
traffic flows towards the controllers. No controller = no $$. You'd
also have more people involved to speed up the process and now you're
spending money that you don't have to when 100K will suffice nicely.
Whether you buy the botnets or you build them yourself, you need time
to generate revenue. Survival and greed are factors here. Aggregating
botnets is possible, sure. But that means you're paying someone for
their use. They aren't just giving them away. Of course, you could
buy a botnet, but again, why buy when you can build 100K botnet in
short order and for free?

Discussing botnet sizes is irrelevant though except in the case of
mitigation and deciding where to spend time working *80/20*.

Look at how the discussions surrounding SPAM have evolved. It went
from "damn abusers", to "damn software", to "where's the money coming
from?". The BotNet problem has already evolved to "where's the money".

Botnets are a new phenomenon. [ Gadi!?]

[ SNIP ]