Re: Spammers ordered to pay $1 billion

  • From: Greg Boehnlein
  • Date: Mon Dec 20 14:33:58 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Gadi Evron wrote:

> Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/18/spam.lawsuit.ap/index.html
> >
> > What a nice present for the holiday season :-)
> >
> > -Hank
>
> Indeed! If it will hold after the appeal.
> Thing is, the spammers are not there to be found for paying, so they
> might not exist for appealing. Meaning this might become a real legal
> precedence.. so maybe there will even be a second.

While it is a victory in the Legal sense, it doesn't actually have any
consequence to the spammers:

"Kramer's attorney, Kelly Wallace, said he is unlikely to ever collect the
judgment, which was made possible by an Iowa law that allows plaintiffs to
claim damages of $10 per spam message. The judgments were then tripled
under RICO.

"We hope to recover at least his costs," Wallace said."

                             KP-216-121-ST