Re: New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sun Dec 19 13:52:13 2004

On 19-dec-04, at 16:54, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

Some manufactures, such as Apple AirPort Extreme, also make dialup
gateways with dialup modem PPP and firewall capabilities.

Actually the Airport Extreme doesn't do firewalling.

It does PNAT and port forwarding to an inside IP address with
remapping.  This matches with the vernacular use of the term
"firewall".
If you say so...

I've not tried to get it to route a subnet; I'm not even
sure if it's possible.
Not as far as I can tell. But being a base station, it can act as a switch. In this mode, it's completely transparent (unless you count rate limiting multicasts...). And even with NAT there is no way to filter outgoing traffic.