Re: New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Sun Dec 19 10:55:20 2004

Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email protected]> writes:

> On 19-dec-04, at 5:45, Sean Donelan wrote:
>
>> Some manufactures, such as Apple AirPort Extreme, also make dialup
>> gateways with dialup modem PPP and firewall capabilities.
>
> Actually the Airport Extreme doesn't do firewalling.

It does PNAT and port forwarding to an inside IP address with
remapping.  This matches with the vernacular use of the term
"firewall".  I've not tried to get it to route a subnet; I'm not even
sure if it's possible.

If you want to be pedantic and completely arbitrary in use of your
definitions I suppose you could say that the Airport Extreme fares
poorly in the ASTM E119 tests and therefore "doesn't do firewalling".

                                        ---Rob