Re: New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Sun Dec 19 08:43:39 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:45:22 -0500 (EST), Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Essentially all the major DSL and Cable broadband providers in the USA
> sell/lease broadband gateways with built-in DSL or Cable modems and
> firewalls.  Looking at the ordering web-sites for several major broadband
> providers, it appears the most common preferred equipment package is a
> WiFi home gateway with built-in dsl or cable modem and firewall. Its as
> simple as calling your favorite broadband provider, placing an order and
> giving them your credit card number to pay for the equipment.

Well Sean - that's right.  However that doesnt seem to be universal.

Quoting Jeff Kell -

> Both regional cable providers in our area provide only cheap cable
> modems, and at least the ILEC CO's DSL is also basic modem-like
> capability, although the ILEC offers a wireless option with a DSL AP
> (that I haven't examined to see if it's a router or bridge).

I'm not suggesting that Carterphone be overturned.  I was wondering
how many people were providing reasonably secure gateways as CPE
instead of el cheapo modem only CPE as a default.

Defaults, especially in this sort of situation, tend to remain that
way .. Joe Average with a DSL line and a winxp box to hook up to it
just isnt going to bother.

But give him a reasonably sane default package like this and he's a
bit more protected against stuff that tries to take over his PC, and
the internet has to deal with one trojaned PC less.  Drops in the
bucket and all that ...

regards
--srs
--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])