Re: Anycast 101

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Dec 17 17:56:35 2004

Paul Vixie wrote:

since i already know that Iljitsch isn't listening, i'm not interested in
debating him further. i would be interested in hearing from anybody else
who thinks that turning on pplb in a eyeball-centric isp that has multiple
upstream paths is a reasonable thing to do, even if there were no anycast
services deployed anywhere in the world. at the moment i am completely
certain that turning on pplb would be an irrational act, and would have a
significant performance-dooming effect on a client population behind it,
and that the times when pplb would actually be useful and helpful are very
limited, and that anycast doesn't even enter into the reasons why doing as
Iljitsch paints would be a bad idea.

but my mind is open, if anyone can speak from experience on the matter.

I concur -- it's not reasonable.

We debated these issues to death about PPP multi-link, which could be thought of as some variant of a single node talking to 2 (or more)
disparate routers (NAS's are routers, after all). Can't depend on all
the links attaching to the same dial-in NAS.

Various companies developed protocols to make the NAS's look like a
single router -- otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Plenty of experience. Has nothing to do with anycast.
--
William Allen Simpson
Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32