Re: Affects of rate-limiting at the far end of links

  • From: Sam Stickland
  • Date: Mon Dec 13 09:43:38 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alex Bligh wrote:

--On 13 December 2004 13:18 +0000 Sam Stickland <[email protected]> wrote:

doesn't lock out traffic for such long periods of time.

Could it be that buffers and flow-control over the 14ms third party leg
are causing the rate-limiting leaky bucket to continue to overflow long
after it's full?
Or you are losing line protocol keepalives of some sort (e.g. at L2), or
routing protocol packets. It may also be that your MPLS provider limits
the traffic at X kbps INCLUDING protocol overhead - if so it's going to
police out all sorts of important stuff (assuming you are running FR, ATM
or something rather than some sort of TDM over MPLS).
Hey Alex, thanks for your reply . It's all IP over MPLS AFAIK, and we're using static routes to the site so I can't imagine it's either of these.

We're going to traffic shape at the remote-end, so this should alleviate the problem. Just really wanted to check the line 'outages' could be caused by the nature of rate-limiting (looks like it can) and weren't indicitive of another underlying problem.

Thanks,