Re: no whois info ?

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Sun Dec 12 22:23:30 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Janet Sullivan wrote:

> I'm confused.  You never try to contact the owners of a domain which
> appears to be the source of abuse, but insist that domains can't be
> anonymous?

All rhetoric aside, this appears to be a question of what it means to have
a domain.

Once upon a time, domain names were (somewhat) hard to get, and were given
to organizations important enough to merit Internet connectivity (which
was also somewhat hard to get).  If you saw abuse coming from somewhere,
you could look at the host the abuse was coming from, find the contact
information for their domain, and contact their employer's or university's
IT department to complain.  To make matters even easier, the Internet was
small enough at that point that dealing with such complaints wasn't all
that overwhelming.

That was ten or fifteen years ago.  Now, domain names can be gotten by
anybody with a few dollars, and having your own domain name is required if
you want to be able to take your e-mail address with you when switching
e-mail providers.  Since lots of people want their e-mail addresses to be
portable, there are lots of domains out there.  I don't have actual stats
on this, but I'm guessing that the percentage of domains that have hosts
in them, and are therefore capable of being the source of abuse, is
probably pretty small.  A domain name is therefore now more like a phone
number.  Perhaps this is a mistake.  Perhaps domain names are far too
important to be wasted on individual conveninece.  But if so, we're
several years too late for that argument to be very useful.

At this point, IP addresses tend to be a much better identifier of the
party responsible for a network user than their domain name.  If you're
looking for a useful contact to talk to about a network problem, rather
than some poor end user to harrass, you're probably much better off
contacting the ISP or organization and that contact information is far
more likely to be associated with the IP address than the domain name.
Of course, there's also the question about whether the listed contact
information on a static IP address should be the ISP's or the end user's,
but that's much better discussed on the ARIN public policy mailing list
and its equivalents than here.

My question at this point is whether contact information for domains (or
at least, for domains which aren't themselves criticial infrastructure)
has any useful purpose at all.  Domains without hosts in them aren't going
to have technical problems (unless the lack of hosts is itself a technical
problem) or abuse problems (except in terms of forgeries, which are really
somebody else's problem).  Domains with only an MX record strike me as the
responsibility of whoever is providing the MX or DNS service.  Domains
with actual hosts in them are probably the most similar to the domains of
a decade ago, but even there the IP addresses involved may be a better
indicator of who to talk to about things.

-Steve