Re: verizon.net and other email grief

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Fri Dec 10 16:40:01 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:36:12 PST, "william(at)elan.net" said:

> They are correct in this case. The address entered in RFC2821 MAIL FROM
> is "Bounces-To" address and it must accept bounced email and as such it
> must accept incoming emails. If the address does not accept traffic as
> you indicated should not be used in MAIL FROM and different adddress from
> local machine should be used. Please read email RFCs and then you'll

Yes - *you* know that the address you put in the MAIL FROM: should be one
that you know is willing to accept any bounces you may be about to
generate, and *I* know that.

The problem is that the spammer (I include A/V companies that still
generate rejection notices) knows that as well - and doesn't feel
the same need to follow the rules and be a good netizen.

Yes, it's a royal pain trying to follow a protocol when you know up front
that there's a 70% to 90% chance that the other person is intentionally
failing to follow it....